Horse Riders Code of Conduct
I understand that riding at any standard has inherent risk and that all horses may react
unpredictably on occasions.
• I may fall off and could be injured. I accept that risk.
• I understand that instructions are given for my safety and agree to follow instructions given
to me by staff and instructors of the riding school.
• I reserve the right not to ride a horse allocated to me and may request a change of
• I understand that wearing an appropriate riding hat and body protector may reduce the
severity of an injury should an accident happen and agree that I will always wear a riding
hat whilst riding, leading and grooming horses at the riding school. I understand it is my
choice whether or not I wear a body protector.
• I understand that the riding school will make decisions based on information I give them
and agree to always be honest and volunteer information about:
− my abilities and riding experience
− any previous riding accidents
− any medical condition(s) which may affect my ability to ride
• I understand that children are at particular risk around horses and agree that I will keep
children that I am responsible for, under close supervision when they are not being
instructed by the riding school.
• I understand that the riding school may refuse my request to ride for safety or operational
• I understand that competing carries enhanced risk over and above general riding and
agree that if I chose to participate in any competition or event, it is up to me to ensure that I
have the experience and ability to ride the course including any jumps which form part of it.
If I am in any doubt, I will use my judgment and experience and not take part.
To ensure all customers are matched suitably with the correct horse and ensure the welfare of our horses is not compromised all clients are asked to complete a rider registration form. Riders will then undergo a 10 minute initial assessment (Please Note the 10 minute assessment will be carried out at the start of any riding activity). Please arrive 20 minutes early to complete your registration form or download and complete today- sending in all information via email (Please note all information is stored and kept on file in accordance with GDPR, only those working at Garlands Farm have access to this information).
Please note we have a weight restriction of 14st which is set with horse welfare in mind. Each horse has been calculated with a maximum weight restriction.
Hats & Boots
All hats must be comply with safety requirements and will be checked prior to riding. We have a range of hats that meet these requirements and are checked frequently. These can be borrowed but must be returned following any riding activity.
Please check out the link below for the latest standards or alternatively see the BHS website-
Footwear must have a heel, you will not be able to ride in trainers/sandals due to the related risks. We have a small selection of riding boots to borrow, please contact us to check for availability.
Please note horse riding is a risky sport and therefore you need to ensure you are completely honest with your capabilities when booking.
We look forward to welcoming you here at Garlands Farm Equestrian Centre Soon!
Parental Consent Form (Pony Days etc)
Rider Registration Form